Thursday, April 16, 2009

Nature Study: We did it!

N. and I went for a nature walk today. Honestly speaking, I wasn't planning on it but, I have made the mistake comment to N. yesterday. Sure enough, today he reminded me. I didn't have an excuse. So armed with binoculars, magnifying glass, baggies, and a camera, we went for a walk around the block. We took samples of leaves, put them in baggies and brought them home to identify. It was a fun experience. N. was all into it. It kind of make me feel a tad guilty that I haven't taken him on more outings.



To identify the leaves we used this Virginia website as well as some field guides we have at home. We learned ( and I really mean we, not a figure of speech) about the parts of leaves, and what to look at when trying to identify them.

We also did some leaf rubbings. Even A. got involved. It was fun experimenting with different leaves and colors, different coloring media (pastel, crayons and coloring pencils) and different patterns.





No comments: