Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Nature Study

I am a nature student wannabe. I drool over sites like this. For years, since G. was little, I have read Charlotte Mason books, and Charlotte Mason inspired moms that seem to have the perfect homeschool. They take the kids outside backpacks in tow, ready for a nature walk. Nature walk, just the name excites me. Doesn't it sound dreamy? It evokes times outside, under the trees, with picnic lunches and sketchbooks. Then I wake up and I remember that 1) I don't like bugs, 2) I am scared of running into wild animals, 3) I don't know how to sketch.

Once more is Spring. Spring seems to beckon me outside. Really? well, not really. It is the same thing again. I want to, really want to go outside but, there are so many things to do inside- books to read, blogs to check and did I mention school, cooking, cleaning?

I am determined this year. I think. I am going to go outside. I am going to take the kids, at least N. for a walk in the neighborhood. We are going to do something simple: collect leaves, identify them and tally the trees in our neighborhood (more like our block). Maybe do some drawing. No, wait, don't get ahead of yourself. Try the most simple thing and see how it goes.

I found this book at our library. I think I am going to follow it and see how it goes. But because I am how I am I couldn't resist doing some poking around on the internet and found these helpful-tuck away somewhere in the back of your mind-blog them so you can remember- links:

http://www.squidoo.com/cmnaturestudy

http://mrshappyhousewife.com/homeschooling/science/nature-study-thirty-six-weeks.html


Tomorrow I'll go. I think.

2 comments:

Willa said...

I am the same way! Sounds so good in theory, so hard to actually do it!

Natalia said...

I agree! I think you and I have some things in common.